Eggs and Proscuitto Baked Mushroom Caps
This is a fantastic dish that is so simple to make. Composed of portabella mushrooms, soft baked eggs, flavorful prosciutto and dressed with walnut pesto, it is healthy, flavorful and at the same time minimal. It’s also very filling and, as an added bonus, elegant in appearance. I truly believe that food tastes better when it looks better, and this creation is a beauty. Eat this dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner…or even as an appetizer. There will be extra pesto, which can be used for other meals. It adds great flavor to fish, chicken, zucchini noodles and veggies.
4 fresh eggs preferably pasture raised
4 portabella mushroom caps
4 slices of prosciutto
2 tbsp. fresh parsley minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
sea salt to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup walnuts
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients into a Vitamix or blender.
- Blend until it is a smooth, even paste.
BAKED EGG AND PROSCIUTTO MUSHROOM INSTRUCTIONS
- After washing mushrooms remove the stem and create space for the egg by scraping out the insides with a spoon.
- Grease the bottom of a baking pan with olive oil and place the mushrooms on it.
- Put one slice of prosciutto inside the mushroom.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl and pour it on top of the prosciutto in the mushroom cap
- Place the baking pan into an oven that has been preheated to 375 degrees F
- Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on how well done you like your eggs.
- Remove from the oven, add a small dollop of pesto, garnish with parsley and serve.