GLUTEN-FREE SAUSAGE AND APPLE STUFFING
Gluten-free eaters no longer have to feel deprived of one of the best dishes of Thanksgiving- the STUFFING. Cauliflower is my go to for gluten-free recipes such as rice, and pizza crust and now for this amazing Gluten-Free Sausage and Apple Stuffing.
Every bit as rich and savory as the traditional heavy breaded dish, this gluten-free stuffing is full of healthy fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals. It can also be modified to accommodate most diets. Make it vegetarian by leaving out the sausage; vegan by leaving out the sausage and using a vegan “butter”; AIP (Auto-immune Paleo) by leaving out the walnuts, subbing in a different fat source for butter and using winter squash instead of mushrooms (it will be a bit sweeter than traditional stuffing, but still delicious); and lower the sugar by using just half of the apple and cutting out the cranberries.
- 1 head of large cauliflower; chopped into rice-sized pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion; chopped
- 2 cups of mushrooms; chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound of organic chicken mushroom sausage (chicken apple sausage can be subbed); cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup of toasted walnuts; halved
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme; minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage; minced
- Sea salt to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons butter, preferably from grass-fed cows
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350˚.
2. Cut cauliflower into large pieces and chop in the food processor until pieces are the size of rice.
3. Sautee onion and celery until the onion is clear- approximately 5-7 minutes.
4. Add in mushrooms and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
5. Add in the sausage, cauliflower rice, apple, walnuts, cranberries, thyme, sage, and sea salt and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and add butter and eggs mixing thoroughly.
7. Place all ingredients into a baking pan greased with butter.
8. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is a golden brown color.
9. Serve and enjoy!