The holidays are in full swing, the smell of sugar is in the air and holiday treats are in abundance. It feels like there is some kind of delicious tempting dessert at every turn. Enjoying the holidays without feeling deprived while also feeling healthy and in control may seem hopeless...but it's actually a lot easier than you think! It is possible to have your fruit cake and eat it too, or to have the power to turn the other way.
Here's one of the main problems with sugar that rings true for most people. Once you start you can't stop. How many of you can have just 1 bite of cake? Yeah, my hand didn't raise for that one either. So what do you do when you are at a holiday party, or anywhere for that matter, where delicious, tempting, not so great for your body or soul treats are around?
Plan ahead- Eat a healthy serving of protein and fat before heading out. This will keep cravings at bay so that you don't find yourself inhaling the peppermint brownie tray at your company holiday party.
Bring your own goodies- You don't have to feel deprived of holiday treats if you create your own healthier bites. One of my favorite sugar craving killing treats are fat bombs made with coconut oil, raw cacao, and a bit of Stevia. Or just a spoonful of straight up coconut oil. It's rich. It's super healthy. It's fantastic. And it kicks sugar cravings to the curb. I swear by these.
Just eat the treat and ENJOY it- Treats are just that- TREATS, and it's OK for you to indulge in one every once in a while. I will stress the words ONE and ONCE IN AWHILE. If there is a certain dessert that only comes around during the holiday season, by all means, have it! But when you eat it, enjoy every bite, guilt free. If you are going to feel guilty and punish yourself afterwards it's better to just skip it.
Evacuate the area- If all else fails and you find yourself out of control, inhaling everything in sight and feeling guilty and panicked it's OK to remove yourself from the situation. Never feel guilty for making your health, both physical and mental, your priority. It's better to go home early than to eat a bunch of junk and then beat yourself up for it days afterwards. Not. Worth. It.
Here's a super quick and easy sugar-free treat you can make in minutes to take to parties or keep at home for when you are craving something delicious and healthy.
COCONUT CACAO BALLS
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened medium-shredded coconut
- ½ cup extra-virgin coconut oil, at room temperature
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons Vega One vanilla flavor protein powder (optional) OR 5-10 drops of Stevia
- Cacao nibs
- Dried acai berries
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Chia seeds
- Crushed walnuts
- Line a baking sheet with non-toxic parchment paper
- Combine coconut, raw cacao, coconut oil, and protein powder or Stevia in a food processor or mixer.
- Mix until all ingredients are combined and a dough is formed
- Roll about 1 tablespoon of the dough in your hands to create a ball.
- If adding toppings, place the toppings on a plate and roll the ball over them until the outside of the ball is covered.
- Line balls up on the baking pan and place it in the refrigerator to cool for about 15 minutes or until the balls are solid
- These will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator or a couple of months in an airtight container in the freezer.