I don't know about you but when summer time heat hits, my cravings for cold, tasty treats are in full effect. Eating a healthful diet doesn't mean you have to deprive yourself. It doesn't mean you don't get to eat things that taste really, really good. I love treats that leave my taste buds singing, and at the same time are nourishing my body. Luckily it’s really easy to make some of the most delicious things out there really healthful for you with just a few tweaks. This avocado cacao mousse is the perfect example. It’s full of healthy fats from avocado and coconut which make it super rich and creamy without the heaviness and inflammation caused by the dairy that is often used to make mousse. They also provide your body with one the most important nutrients out there- high quality fats.
The addition of raw cacao amps up the nutrition in this mousse and gives it a rich, chocolately flavor. Cacao contains almost four times the antioxidants of regular dark chocolate as well as protein, calcium, carotene, thiamin, riboflavin, magnesium, sulfur, flavonoids, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids. Hello Superfood! For those with dietary restrictions, I’m also happy to report that this avocado cacao mousse is vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free.
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (Navitas is one of my favorite brands)
- 2 very ripe avocados peeled, pitted and frozen
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract ( I love the Singing Dog brand)
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- several drops of liquid stevia, or 1-2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
- shredded coconut, crushed nuts or berries for a topping
- Place the avocados, coconut milk, vanilla, cacao and stevia (or sweetener of choice) in a blender or Vitamix on high speed and blend until creamy.
- Put into bowls and refrigerate for at least 3 hours
- Serve and top with shredded coconut, crushed nuts, berries or any other healthy topping